URGENT NOTICE: ORGANIST AND CHOIR TRAINER REQUIRED FOR THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, BISHOPS LYDEARD!
We wish to appoint a new Organist and Choir Trainer to develop the music at St Mary the Virgin, Bishops Lydeard and enhance our worship and outreach to the local community.
Adult RSCM-Affiliated choir.
Rodgers 2-Manual Digital organ.
Three Sundays each month: Sung Eucharist on two Sundays,;a Service of the Word on one Sunday; and either a Service of the Word or an All-Age Eucharist on the fourth Sunday.
A monthly Evensong, and occasional special services e.g. All Souls.
Opportunities to play for Occasional Services.
Choir practice on Fridays.
Good links with local schools.
Remuneration in line with RSCM recommendation.
A DBS check is required for this role.
For job descripiton and any further details, please contact: The Rector, The Revd. Matthew Tregenza. Tel: 01823 432935. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For details of services, please click here
To find the church using sat. nav., our post code is TA4 3AT.
David Smart, Little Orchard, Piffin Lane, Bishops Lydeard. Tel: 01823 432531
Sandra Samuelson, Quantock Cottage, 3 High Street, Bishops Lydeard. Tel: 01823 432786
PCC Secretary: Adrian Smith, 7 Gladstone Street, Taunton TA2 6LY. Tel: 01823 325425
PCC Treasurer: Mrs Margaret Gover, 2 The Leat, Bishops Lydeard TA4 3NY. Tel: 01823 433066
Safeguarding Officer: Mrs Abbie Cook. Tel: 01823 432979.
Organist and Choir Trainer: VACANT AT PRESENT – SEE ADVERTISEMENT ABOVE.
Tower Captain: Mike Hansford, 41b Mount Street, Bishops Lydeard. Tel: 01823 433190
The village of Bishops Lydeard belonged in the earliest times to the Bishop of Bath and Wells. In 1291 King Edward I granted a charter to Robert Burnell, Bishop of Bath and Wells, to hold a weekly fair in the village, and two annual fairs, each for six days, at the Feasts of the Nativity and the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The original charter is still in existence. It was acquired some years ago by the village, and is now kept in the church.
There has been a church on the present site since Saxon times, but the oldest part of the present building is the north arcade, which dates from the end of the thirteenth century.
The church is built of red sandstone, with a tall, typically Somerset tower embellished with facings of creamy Ham Hill stone. It was built about 1450. It is one of the earliest of a group with the towers of Isle Abbots, Kingston and Staple Fitzpaine. On the south side of the church, east of the porch, note the Rood Turret housing the spiral stair leading to the top of the Rood Screen.
Inside, the north arcade, the older, is distinctly lower than the south arcade. The present form of the interior, though, is decidedly Victorian and later. The chancel was rebuilt on the original foundations about 1860, at which time the north aisle was extended east (it originally finished level with the chancel arch). In the nave there are carved bench ends, mostly carved by a group of itinerant Flemish wood-carvers around 1540. Emblems of the Passion and of the Church, together with Green Men and local scenes, are represented.
The nave, with the mediaeval Rood Screen restored in the 1930s by Sir Ninian Comper
The Rood Screen was made, probably in Taunton, early in the sixteenth century. It is typical of the fan-vaulted screens being installed throughout Devon and Somerset at that time. it is complete, since when it was built there was no extension of the north aisle as there is now. It is unusual in that one band of the ornament along the richly carved cornice contains the Apostles Creed in Latin in an ornate Gothic script. The lower panels contain elaborate tracery. The colour was restored by Sir Ninian Comper based on traces found when it was being repaired. The figures of Our Lord, St Mary and St John are also the work of Comper, and were erected in 1948. The end of the barrel vault over the nave butting onto the chancel arch is richly embellished. This, the “Celure of the Rood” is an original mediaeval feature, and was placed there to form a canopy of honour over the figure of Christ crucified.
The sanctuary, as redecorated by Comper in 1925 as a memorial to those killed in the First World War.
Except for a few small fragments assembled in a window in the old vestry, there is no surviving medieval glass. The stained glass in the aisle windows is all Victorian. Both the chancel east window and the Lady Chapel east window are by Comper, the chancel window part of the war memorial scheme, the Lady Chapel a memorial to Beatrice Ringrose, wife of Sir Denis Fortescue Boles of Watts House (now Cedar Falls health Farm). The parish was fortunate in the years leading up to World War I and between the wars in having two land-owning families, the Lethbridges of Sandhill Park and the Boles of Watts house, who both notably embellished the church.
It is strictly incorrect to have a Lady Chapel in a church dedicated to Our Lady. The second altar here, with its little chapel behind the screen, is sometimes known as the Jesus Chapel. However, the East window above the chapel altar depicts The Annunciation, so perhaps it should be known as the Chapel of the Annunciation.
In 2016, A Brief Guide to the Stained Glass Windows was research, written and produced by Penny Gale, a member of St Mary’s congregation. In the Introduction to her booklet, Penny explains that the main ‘lights’ are described, with their associated biblical reference where possible. These have been taken from the King James Version of the Bible (KJV). The stained glass windows are Victorian and Perpendicular in style. Most are memorial donations and any dedications can be seen at the foot of the lights. The windows include the symbols of the four Evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John; The Annunciation (as mentioned above in what is described as ‘Lady Chapel’), the window depicting The Angel Gabriel pointing to Mary, Madonna Lilies and Mary, the Virgin holding a Bible. The Raising of Lazarus is depicted in the window on the South wall.
In the South aisle on the South wall, we are treated to depictions of St Peter, Jesus and St Paul; on the South wall in the Font area we have The Law and the Prophets: Elijah, Moses and John the Baptist. Also on the South wall in the Font area, but West facing are depicted the story of the Expulsion of Adam from the Garden of Eden, Jesus in Glory and Christ Crucified.
In the Tower area, West facing is a window depicting the Baptism of Jesus.
In the North aisle, West facing are two windows showing two different scenes from The Parable of the Talents, and a third depicting Jesus at the house of Martha and Mary at Bethany.
Remaining in the North aisle, but North facing are various scenes again from Jesus’ visits to the house of his friends at Bethany. In the window above the North door, there are depictions of Peter walking on the water; Jesus preaching from the boat; and Jesus asleep in the boat before stilling the storm. On the East side of the North Door in the North aisle, we can see Sarah and Isaac from the story in the Old Testament; Christ and the children from the Gospels; and Eunice and Timothy from one of S. Paul’s epistles. Also in the North aisle North facing, the windows show S. Christopher; S. John the Evangelist; and King Alfred the Great. There is yet another window, but this is clear lattice.
In the North aisle, at the East end over the door can be found the Four Evangelists, mentioned earlier above.
The East window above the High Altar in the Sanctuary is a First World War memorial, designed by Sir Ninian Comper in 1924. Also in this window are inserts at the foot of each light: Bishop Martin of Tours; The Virgin Mary; and S. George.
In the Sanctuary, South facing we find depictions of The Resurrection, and The Ascension.
In the Flower Vestry, there is a small late 15th or early 16th century window consisting of fragments of Medieval glass. On the left a Baptism is depicted; the right hand side shows the Virgin Mary holding Jesus. Above them is an uncrowned head and what appears to be the white rose of York or – possibly – a Tudor rose.
It is hoped that this very brief description, taken from Penny’s book and with her permission, will whet your appetite to come to see this amazing treasure trove of wonderful stained glass windows for yourself – and that you will be inspired to pay for a copy of Penny’s book so that you can take it away with you to enjoy at your leisure and as a reminder of your visit.
The pulpit is Jacobean, again with its colouring restored to agree with traces of its earlier colour. The stone base on which it stands is modern.
Passing through the screen, the chancel was furnished and re-ordered by Sir Ninian Comper as a War Memorial. The High Altar with its riddel posts surmounted by winged and gilded angels, with curtains to match the altar front in the liturgical colour of the season, is in the style that he advocated as the traditional English altar. Above it is a square tester or canopy, similar to the one which Comper erected over the altar of the Lady Chapel at Downside abbey. It has little angels at the corners, bearing shields of the Boles arms. The gilding round the east window, with the figures of seraphim, is also part of Comper’s scheme.
In 1994 the bells, a typical Somerset ring with a tenor weighing 24cwt, were re-hung and lowered in the tower by 30 feet to reduce the sway on the tower.
Starting in 2001 with the roof of the north aisle, there has been a programme of extensive restoration of the fabric including the south wall and roof, new lighting, conservation of the woodwork, east window repair and conservation, re-wiring, re-decoration, and the complete restoration of the tower.
A selection of mediaeval bosses in the nave roof vaulting:
St Mary’s has the only robed choir in the benefice. They sing for most services, and also in the other churches of the benefice for services which fall on the fifth Sunday. They also sing for the evening services once a month, which rotate around the five churches.
Worship varies from the Book of Common Prayer Communion at 8am on Sundays and at 10.30am on Wednesdays, to Common Worship Eucharist on two Sundays a month with Common Worship Morning Prayer and Common Worship All Age Eucharist on the other two Sundays.